At a distance of 7 km from Karwar, Anjadiva Island or Anjadip Island is located in the Arabian Sea in South Goa. Due to the fact that the Island situates about 2 km from Binaga Village in Karnataka it is widely believed that Anjadiva belongs to this State but legally it is a part of Goa.
The Anjadip Island occupied an area of 1.5 sq km, it is the largest of the Karwar Panchadiva chain of five Islands and the other four are Kurnagal, Mudlingud, Devgad and Devragad. Anji stands for five in Tamil and it denotes the 5th Island. This idyllic Island is home to the Indian Navy.
The legendary sailor Vasco Da Gama and a Jewish trader Gaspar Da Gama requested the king of Portugal to create a naval fort at the region of Anjadiva to gain the administrative control of Goa. Anjadiva Fort is present on the Anjadip Island. Currently the fort lies in ruins and the Church of Our Lady of Springs which was constructed in the year 1505 is close to it. However, this fort was deserted by the Portuguese during the year 1843. The Hindus and Christians utilized the fort as a shelter when Portuguese territory was attacked by Tipu Sultan. On 19th December, 1961 Anjadiva Fort officially was declared a part of India.
The Island is known for its annual feast of Our Lady of Springs known as ‘Nossa Senhora das Brotas’ on 2nd February and feast of the Chapel of St. Francis D’Assisi on 4th October.
You can also travel by boat from the main port of Karwar directly to Anjadiva Island. Keep in mind that sometimes the access to the Island is forbidden, so before going there please contact Station Commander Sea Bird Project to find out if the Island is open and there is a possibility to visit it.